Aboriginal Advisory Committee



Meeting Date:     Monday, 12 February, 2018

Location:            Jervis Bay Rooms, City Administrative Centre, Bridge Road, Nowra

Time:                   4.00pm



Please note: Council’s Code of Meeting Practice permits the electronic recording and broadcast of the proceedings of meetings of the Council which are open to the public. Your attendance at this meeting is taken as consent to the possibility that your image and/or voice may be recorded and broadcast to the public.





1.    Apologies

2.    A Minute Silence in Respect of Aboriginal Elders, Past and Present

3.    Confirmation of Minutes

·      Aboriginal Advisory Committee - 6 November 2017.................................................... 1

4.    Declarations of Interest

5.    Presentations

AA18.1........ Berry District Park - Liliana Hutchinson

AA18.2........ Seniors Festival 2018 - Helen Waterhouse

6.    Reports

AA18.4........ Aboriginal Advisory Committee's 21st Anniversary ...................................... 5

AA18.5........ NSW Local Government Aboriginal Network Conference 2017.................... 8                    

7.    General Business

AA18.6........ Bonnie Hittmann - Social Planner to facilitate a workshop to progress the Action Plan

The item is to discuss when the workshop will be and what will be included in the workshop.


 Aboriginal Advisory Committee – Monday 12 February 2018

Page ii



Ms Sue-Anne Cutmore - Chairperson

Clr Cheyne

Clr Levett

Clr Kitchener

Clr Proudfoot

Mr Russ Pigg or nominee

Ms Janet Atkins

Ms Sylvia Timbery

Ms Patricia Lester

Ms Christine Finney

Mr Shane Brown

Ms Leonie Ebzery

Ms Valda Corrigan (NPWS)

Ms Leslie Halls

Mr Noel Wellington

Mr Paul McLeod

Ms Janaya Hennessy

Ms Morgan Blakeney

Mr Charlie Ashby

Nowra LALC – Sharlene Cruickshank

Jerrinja LALC - Rebecca Woods

Ulladulla LALC


Quorum – Five (5)



·        To advise Shoalhaven City Council on necessary issues relating to Aboriginal communities in the LGA.

·        Promote and increase knowledge & understanding of Aboriginal society, history & culture in the LGA.

·        Facilitate access and accessibility to services and facilities for Aboriginal people.

·        Advise on the development and implementation of the Shoalhaven City Council Community Strategic Plan.

·        Develop strong collaborative partnerships between Aboriginal communities and Shoalhaven City Council.

·        Maintain strong links between Council and Aboriginal communities throughout the Shoalhaven to accomplish the relationships and outcomes required for genuine reconciliation.

·        Foster and safeguard a spirit of mutual trust and respect which allows the AAC and Shoalhaven City Council to work together in their commitment towards intelligent, well informed decision making processes that are sensitive to all Aboriginal issues.

·        Recognise, support & uphold past and present local cultural heritage and its place in future Council directions.

·        Remain a meaningful ‘place’ for the communication of messages and information from Aboriginal community voices that identify local needs for services, facilities and activities.

·        Support and promote significant celebrations and events within the Shoalhaven Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.





Minutes of the Aboriginal Advisory Committee



Meeting Date:     Monday, 6 November 2017

Location:            Jervis Bay Room, City Administrative Centre, Bridge Road, Nowra

Time:                   4:07pm



The following members were present:


Ms Sue-Anne Cutmore - Chairperson

Clr Nina Cheyne

Clr Mark Kitchener

Clr John Levett

Ms Valda Corrigan

Mr Shane Brown

Mr Noel Wellington

Ms Pat Lester

Ms Leonie Ebzery

Ms Sylvia Timbery

Ms Leslie Halls

Mr Paul McLeod


Others Present:


Clr John Wells

Margaret Simoes – Aboriginal Community Development Officer

Ms Bonnie Hittman – Senior Strategic Planner

Mr John Armstrong – Illawarra Academy of Sport




Apologies / Leave of Absence


Apologies received from Charlie Ashby, Sharlene Criukshank, Clr White, Janet Atkins, Christine Finney



Confirmation of the Minutes

RESOLVED (Leslie Halls / Sylvia Timbery)


That the Minutes of the Aboriginal Advisory Committee held on Monday 11 September 2017 be confirmed.






Declarations of Interest







AA17.22     President - Illawarra Academy of Sport

HPERM Ref: D17/360792

Clr Wells provided a verbal presentation in relation to the Illawarra Academy of Sport (IAS). The following points were made.

  • Clr Wells introduced himself as the President of the IAS and Mr John Armstrong as the CEO of the IAS
  • The Presentation was in relation to what the IAS is, what the IAS does and is here to find ways to better engage the Aboriginal community.
  • The IAS was first established in 1985 and was the first regional Academy of Sport in Australia
  • The IAS comprises of 5 Illawarra Councils being, Shoalhaven, Kiama, Shellharbour, Wollongong and Wingecarribee. These are the founding members of the Academy.
  • The NSW Office of Sport (the old Sport and Rec) under a program of agreement to provide services to the Illawarra. The IAS has a number of corporate and private sponsors provide support to the IAS which is a not for profit organisation and all the funding is spent of the athletes.
  • The IAS provides training and education development opportunities for athletes that can go on to represent at Regional, State and National level.
  • The scholarship opportunities for ages 13-18 are not just in sport but the program also provides a strong educational component on injury management, drugs in sport, diet and nutrition
  • A further component of the IAS is to contribute to Community Service via a number of Charitable organisations such as Red Shield Appeal and Clean up Australia Day
  • The IAS is committed to the development of the holistic athlete by providing elite training in sport specific skill development, athletic movement performance as well as an elite sports education curriculum.
  • The 2018 Scholarships have just been announced and the IAS has inducted 168 athletes and 5 of which are Torres Strait Islander or Aboriginal descent.
  • We want to get more Aboriginal Children to apply for scholarships, we want to know who are the key stakeholders in the community and who do we discuss the opportunities with.
  • We want to become more engaged in the community and want to know the best way to educate the Aboriginal children and their parents about the availability of the scholarships.

Q: How does it get advertised?

A: Through local media and IAS website

Suggestion: Pamphlets placed in local Aboriginal Services and schools through the Aboriginal Education Officers. There also needs to be a push from local clubs and associations. You could also have a presence at the NAIDOC day.

Note: Margaret will keep in touch with the IAS and provide options which have been brought from the AAC and Community.



AA17.23     Progress update on the Action Plan Framework


Bonnie Hittman (Senior Social Planner) provided a verbal report on the Action Plan Framework (See Attached).

The committee discussed options for the Aboriginal Advisory Committee Action Plan framework:

1.      Reconciliation Action Plan

2.      Develop a plan based around the Integrated Strategic Plan

3.      Develop a plan incorporating Collaborate NSW, Local Government and Aboriginal communities working together. A resource kit for Local Government

Note: Leonie Ebzery and Sylvia Timbery left the meeting 5.03pm


RESOLVED (By consent)

That Aboriginal Advisory Committee:

1.      Agreed to develop the AAC Action Plan based on the framework of the Collaborate NSW

2.      Hold a workshop in 2018 to discuss a way forward with the Action Plan framework.







AA17.21     Aboriginal Advisory Committee Action Report

HPERM Ref: D17/349502

Note: Noel Wellington provided a verbal report in relation to the Local Government Aboriginal Network Conference (See Attached).

Clr Levett who also attended the conference is submitting a report to the November Strategy and Assets Meeting.

A video presentation was made in relation to the Wagirra Murray River Experience.

Note: Shane Brown left 5.50pm during video presentation.

Note: It was reported that the MOU for the Level 2, Arts Centre Meeting Room was extened to 2018.

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)


1.    The Aboriginal Advisory Committee receives the Progress Action Plan report

2.    The Aboriginal Advisory Committee discuss and consider any further actions from the Progress Action Plan report.


RESOLVED (Valda Corrigan / Clr Levett)


1.      The Aboriginal Advisory Committee receives the Progress Action Plan report for information

2.      A workshop be held to further discuss and consider any further actions from the Progress Action Plan and report back to the committee on the outcomes of the Workshop.

3.      The Aboriginal Advisory Committee provide this presentation (Wagirra Murray River Experience Walking Trail) to the Councillors

4.      Council investigate the project that Albury is conducting on the Wagirra Murray River Experience and provide feedback on how the Shoalhaven can utilise the Shoalhaven River for a similar project.






The following announcements were made:






There being no further business, the meeting concluded, the time being 6.18pm.



Ms Sue-Anne Cutmore








 Aboriginal Advisory Committee – Monday 12 February 2018

Page 5



AA18.4       Aboriginal Advisory Committee's 21st Anniversary


HPERM Ref:       D17/430672


Group:                Finance Corporate & Community Services Group 

Section:              Recreation Community & Culture




Purpose / Summary

To advise the Aboriginal Advisory Committee of the 21st Anniversary of the establishment of the Aboriginal Advisory Committee.


Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)


1.    The Aboriginal Advisory Committee receives the report for information

2.    The Aboriginal Advisory Committee discuss and consider any ideas to celebrate the 21st Anniversary milestone.

3.    It is recommended that all past Aboriginal Committee members be invited to celebrate the milestone with the current Advisory Committee on the 8th May 2018 the date of the next Aboriginal Advisory Committee meeting.





1.    The Aboriginal Advisory Committee adopt the recommendations

Implications: Recommendations will provide an opportunity to acknowledge the work of the Aboriginal Advisory Committee and build stronger links between Council and community.

2.    The Aboriginal Advisory Committee consider alternate recommendation(s) to acknowledge the anniversary.

Implications: Will be determined based on the decision made at the Aboriginal Advisory Committee meeting.


On the 24th September 1996 a Notice of Motion was submitted for consideration by Council at its Ordinary Meeting -

‘That the General Manager be requested to arrange a preliminary planning meeting with representatives from the aboriginal community to discuss the benefits of the formation of an Aboriginal Coordinating Committee. The meeting to comprise of representatives from the various communities, Council staff and available Councillors. The venue to be the Cultural Centre or a mutually agreed upon alternative venue.

One of the objectives of the Shoalhaven Community Plan is to consider the establishment of an Aboriginal Coordinating Committee of Council, to improve links between Council and the local Aboriginal communties.’ Clr Pam Arnold (File 97/1266)


An Aboriginal Liaison Planning meeting was held on 3rd February,1997 at Nowra Showground to discuss the formation of the Aboriginal Liaison Planning Committee. This was attended by Senior Council staff, Councillors and representatives from the local Aboriginal community and organisations. Representatives from the Department of Local Government and Local Government and Shires Association who presented an outline on the formation of an Aboriginal Advisory Committee.


Council resolved at it’s meeting held on Tuesday 18th February 1997 that:-


(a)   An interim Committee be formed to be known as the Aboriginal Co-ordinating Committee   and a sub-committee of fifteen (15) be nominated to determine the future composition, objectives and frequency of meetings.

(b)   At this stage it is suggested that of the fifteen (15), ten be Aboriginal community members to be nominated by the Aboriginal community.  (Policy and Planning Committee meeting 1st April 1997 – Addendum Report – General Manager – Health and Community Services: File 97/1266)


On the 21st February 1997 an advertisement was placed in the local papers calling for nominations for appointment to the Aboriginal Co-ordinating Committee.


It was reported to the Policy and Planning Committee on Tuesday 1st April 1997 of the nominations received from Aboriginal members and the following persons were appointed as members on the Aboriginal Coordinating Committee:


Ms Jean Turner           -           nominated by Shoalhaven Hospital

Ms Lena Bloxsome     -           nominated by Shoalhaven Aboriginal Elders and Friends                                                     Corporation

Mr Jim Davison           -           nominated by self

Ms Coral Wright          -           nominated by Shoalhaven Aboriginal Elders and Friends                                                     Corporation

Ms Sharon Bloxsome -           nominated by self

Mr Gerry Moore          -           nominated by self

Ms Coral Yuke            -           nominated by South Coast Medical Service Aboriginal                                                         Corporation

Mrs Carol Dalton         -           nominated by South Coast Aboriginal Cultural Centre

Mrs Faye Trinder        -           nominated by self

Ms Debbie Cain          -           nominated by Shoalhaven Youth Accommodation Company

Mr Ivern Ardler            -           nominated by NSW Aboriginal Land Councils and ATSIC                                                    Regional Council

Mr Shane Carriage     -           nominated by Ulladulla Lcoal Aboriginal Land Council

Mr Neville Hampton    -           nominated by Wreck Bay Aboriginal Community Council

Ms Christine Finney    -           nominated by Jerrinja Local Aboriginal Land Council

Mr Ruth Simms           -           nominated by self

Clr P Arnold, Clr P Mason and available Councillors            -  be appointed as Council’s                                                   representatives on the Aboriginal Coordinating Committee.


It is with deep respect to those members listed above who have passed on that they be recognised for their contribution to this Committee.


The first meeting of the Shoalhaven Aboriginal Coordinating Committee was held on Monday 19th May 1997.


The anniversary celebration will be an opportunity for the current Aboriginal Advisory Committee to meet with former Aboriginal Advisory Committee members to discuss past and present issues and future considerations to support the development of the Aboriginal Advisory Committee’s Action Plan, as well as strengthen consultative links between Council and Shoalhaven Aboriginal community.


The anniversary of the first meeting is on the 19th May, It is recommended that former members be invited to meet with the current Aboriginal Advisory Committee members on the 8th May 2018, the date of the next Advisory Committee meeting.


Community Engagement

Shoalhaven City Council values its culturally diverse communities and lifestyles.  It is deeply committed to building stronger collaborative working partnerships with local Aboriginal communities, and to provide opportunities for genuine community engagement.


Financial Implications

Unknown at this stage, until celebration options are finalised.   


 Aboriginal Advisory Committee – Monday 12 February 2018

Page 8



AA18.5       NSW Local Government Aboriginal Network Conference 2017


HPERM Ref:       D17/430054


Submitted by:    Clr John Levett


Attachments:     1. Conference report




Purpose / Summary

To provide a report (Attachment 1) from Clr John Levett on the NSW Local Government Aboriginal Network Conference held in Albury on 13-15 September 2017 in accordance with Clause 3.3(e) of the Council Members – Payment of Expenses and Provision of Facilities Policy.


Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee receive the report from Clr John Levett on the NSW Local Government Aboriginal Network Conference 2017 for information.




1.    Receive the report for information

2.    Request further information on the conference


Note: The Report on the conference was also discussed at the Aboriginal Advisory committee meeting 6 November 2017.


 Aboriginal Advisory Committee – Monday 12 February 2018

Page 9


PDF Creator


PDF Creator


PDF Creator


PDF Creator


PDF Creator


PDF Creator