Aboriginal Advisory Committee



Meeting Date:     Monday, 06 November, 2017

Location:            Seven Mile Room, City Administrative Centre, Bridge Road, Nowra

Time:                   4:00pm



Please note: Council’s Code of Meeting Practice permits the electronic recording and broadcast of the proceedings of meetings of the Council which are open to the public. Your attendance at this meeting is taken as consent to the possibility that your image and/or voice may be recorded and broadcast to the public.





1.    Apologies

2.    A Minute Silence in Respect of Aboriginal Elders, Past and Present

3.    Confirmation of Minutes

·      Aboriginal Advisory Committee - 11 September 2017................................................. 1

4.    Declarations of Interest

5.    Presentations

AA17.22...... Clr Wells (President) - Illawarra Academy of Sport

6.    Reports

AA17.21...... Aboriginal Advisory Committee Action Report............................................... 6                    

7.    General Business


 Aboriginal Advisory Committee – Monday 06 November 2017

Page ii



Ms Sue-Anne Cutmore - Chairperson

Clr Cheyne

Clr Levett

Clr Kitchener

Clr Proudfoot

Mr Russ Pigg or nominee

Ms Janet Atkins

Ms Sylvia Timbery

Ms Patricia Lester

Ms Christine Finney

Mr Shane Brown

Ms Leonie Ebzery

Ms Valda Corrigan (NPWS)

Ms Leslie Halls

Mr Noel Wellington

Mr Paul McLeod

Ms Janaya Hennessy

Ms Morgan Blakeney

Mr Charlie Ashby

Nowra LALC – Sharlene Cruickshank

Jerrinja LALC - Rebecca Woods

Ulladulla LALC


Quorum – Five (5)



·        To advise Shoalhaven City Council on necessary issues relating to Aboriginal communities in the LGA.

·        Promote and increase knowledge & understanding of Aboriginal society, history & culture in the LGA.

·        Facilitate access and accessibility to services and facilities for Aboriginal people.

·        Advise on the development and implementation of the Shoalhaven City Council Community Strategic Plan.

·        Develop strong collaborative partnerships between Aboriginal communities and Shoalhaven City Council.

·        Maintain strong links between Council and Aboriginal communities throughout the Shoalhaven to accomplish the relationships and outcomes required for genuine reconciliation.

·        Foster and safeguard a spirit of mutual trust and respect which allows the AAC and Shoalhaven City Council to work together in their commitment towards intelligent, well informed decision making processes that are sensitive to all Aboriginal issues.

·        Recognise, support & uphold past and present local cultural heritage and its place in future Council directions.

·        Remain a meaningful ‘place’ for the communication of messages and information from Aboriginal community voices that identify local needs for services, facilities and activities.

·        Support and promote significant celebrations and events within the Shoalhaven Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.





Minutes of the Aboriginal Advisory Committee



Meeting Date:     Monday, 11 September 2017

Location:            Seven Mile Room, City Administrative Centre, Bridge Road, Nowra

Time:                   4.00pm



The following members were present:


Ms Sue-Anne Cutmore – Chairperson

Mayor Amanda Findley – arrived at 5.10pm

Clr Nina Cheyne

Clr Mark Kitchener

Clr Patricia White

Ms Patricia Lester

Ms Sylvia Timbery – left at 5.05pm

Ms Valda Corrigan

Ms Sharlene Cruickshank – Nowra LALC

Ms Leonie Ebzery

Ms Christine Finney

Ms Leslie Halls

Mr Shane Brown – left at 5.11pm


Others Present:

Clr John Levett

Coralie Bell – Tourism Manager

Ms Margaret  Simoes - Aboriginal Community Development Officer





Apologies / Leave of Absence


An apology was received from Morgan Blakeney, Charlie Ashby, Paul McLeod and Janet Atkins.



Confirmation of the Minutes

RESOLVED (Clr Cheyne / Valda Corrigan)

That the Minutes of the Aboriginal Advisory Committee held on Monday 15 May 2017 be confirmed.










AA17.14     Tourism Update

HPERM Ref: D17/240906

Coralie Bell – Tourism Manager addressed the Committee to advise that the Walking Guide has been produced and to seek feedback on the Visitors Guide. The following points were made:

·         The Walking Guide has now been produced and Coralie thanked the Committee for their input into the Guide and advised it will be on the website shortly.

·         Feedback was sought in relation to the visitors guide and welcomed comments in relation to the cultural content, the closing date for the final feedback and comments are needed asap – with final copy to go to printers end of September:

1.      Pages 12 and 13 need more information of additional operators.

2.      The Tourism section of Council has a new videographer, covering Our Stories, the current campaign is Food and Wine, and the next series will be covering Adventure and Outdoors, looking for any Aboriginal tourism business who wants to be involved.

a.      Focusing on broadening the scope on Sustainable Tourism and are currently in the process with consultants. What does success in tourism look like? The Tourism section would like to engage the Aboriginal community, so please get in touch with Tourism section within 24 hours to nominate people to be interviewed.

3.      Feedback – Tourism are encouraging the Aboriginal community to assist with engaging Aboriginal people to be included in the guide

4.      Suggestion – insert the symbol for Meeting Place on several pages throughout the guide

5.      Include NAIDOC day in events

6.      The Map on page 2 – acknowledgement to Country and languages, make respecting land more obvious.

7.      Talk about implementing a set of tourist protocols long term.

8.      Spelling Yuin – page 37

9.      One track for all may not be included due to the repair state of the track

10.   Incorporating Aboriginal images throughout the Tourism Guide eg. Aboriginal Surfers


Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee receive the report for information and provide feedback as needed.


RESOLVED (Leonie Ebzery / Clr White)

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee receive the report for information and provide feedback as needed.




AA17.15     2017 Local Government Regional NAIDOC Awards

HPERM Ref: D17/276619

Margaret Simoes addressed the meeting and provided the following information in relation to the NAIDOC Awards recently held in Wollongong:

·         Information regarding the event is included in the report

·         The Mayor is holding a morning tea for the Shoalhaven recipients next Tuesday 19 September at 10.30am

·         Kiama will be hosting 2018 NAIDOC awards

·         Theme – on the table was a theme of plants and natural environment, native plants and a coastal theme based on the designed theme at the NAIDOC Awards, they had panels on the stage that reflected the theme.

·         The MC Andy Saunders was fantastic

·         The NAIDOC Awards Dinner reflected a coastal theme incorporating bush and sea. Wollongong City Council Botanical Gardens contributing a native plant to each guest in attendance. Guests were welcomed into the Fraternity Club foyer with the word ‘NAIDOC’ in lights.

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee accept the report of the Local Government Regional NAIDOC Awards and provide any feedback as needed.


RESOLVED (By consent)

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee accept the report of the Local Government Regional NAIDOC Awards and provide any feedback as needed.






Note: Margaret Simoes advised the Committee that Sharlene Cruickshank is representing Nowra LALC.



AA17.16     Additional Item – Amendment of the Terms of Reference and Membership

The Committee discussed the Terms of Reference and was advised that the amount of members needs to be amended to reflect the true amount of members that has been appointed.

The Terms of Reference needs to be increased to 21 members total which is made up of the following:

  • 13 Aboriginal Community members (including 2 youth members)
  • 1 NPWS Representative (Valda Corrigan)
  • 3 Councillors
  • 3 LALC’s
  • General Manager or Nominee

Note: Sylvia Timbery left the meeting at 5.05pm

Recommendation (Clr White / Patricia Lester)


1.      The Terms of Reference be amended to reflect that if members haven’t attended 3 meetings without an apology that a reminder/courtesy letter be sent advising that they have missed 3 meetings and their membership will lapse if they do not confirm their membership in writing;

2.      The Terms of Reference be amended to reflect the membership being a total of 21 members made up of the following:

a.      13 Aboriginal Community members, including 2 youth members

b.      1 NPWS Representative (Valda Corrigan)

c.      3 LALC’s – Nowra LALC, Jerringa LALC and Ulladulla LALC

d.      3 Councillors

e.      General Manager or nominee




AA17.17     Additional Item - Membership Request - Natalie Lloyd

The Committee discussed the Terms of Reference and the membership based on the fact that all members were accepted after the last meeting for a term of 4 years.

Given that all positions on the Committee have been appointed there is no vacancy for membership.

Note: Clr Findley arrived at the meeting 5.10pm

Note: Shane Brown left the meeting at 5.11pm

Recommendation (Clr White / Clr Kitchener)

That Council thank Natalie Lloyd for her interest in the Aboriginal Advisory Committee and welcome Natalie to attend the meetings as a non voting participant.




AA17.18     Additional Item - Recognition and Reconciliation

Clr Levett addressed the meeting and brought the following topic up for discussion:

The Frontier War – we don’t have conversations about this war and should there be a place that people in the community can go to reflect?

Clr Cheyne addressed the meeting with the following Comments: We need to acknowledge all Aboriginal people who served and are still serving the Country. A suggestion of a memorial of some kind in the Shoalhaven or a permanent acknowledgement

It was suggested that a plaque on top of Cullunghutti Mountain for respect of elders as a place of reconciliation.

A suggestion was an accessible place such as the Showground would be a more appropriate place.

Clr Findley asked is there something we could/should be doing to celebrate survival day? Commemorative Stones throughout the Shoalhaven.

RESOLVED (By consent)

That a report be submitted to the next meeting in relation to options for reflection stones and reconciliation.




Note: Leonie Ebzery left the meeting at 5.45pm






AA17.19     Additional Item - Utilisation of the Arts Centre Space

RESOLVED (By consent)

That a report be submitted to the next meeting regarding the utilisation of the Arts Centre Space.




Note: Clr Kitchener left the meeting 5.56pm


AA17.20     Additional Item - Consultation Process as part of the Action Plan

Margaret Simoes addressed the Committee and distributed copies of the Action Plan.

1.      The following comments were made:

  • Margaret asked the members present to think about their individual role as part of the Committee and their role between Council and the Community.
  • What is the process for consultation? – Seeking advice from the Committee.
  • The Committee to think about identifying working groups or guidelines to Council and developing the Action Plan.
  • What strategy does the Committee put in place as a role of the Committee and consultation process.

2.      The Committee hold an informal workshop on Tuesday 17 October at 10.30am at the Arts Centre space to work on the Action plan.

3.      Members of the Committee were thanked for their continued support in working on the Aboriginal Advisory Committee Action Plan.

4.      The Committee to consider their consultation processes with the community eg. How they seek advice or feedback from the community.

5.      The Committee members to nominate further working groups to further develop the Action Plan



Note: The Committee is supporting the HSC Graduation for all High Schools in the Shoalhaven and Kiama on 9 October 2017.


Note: the Parramatta Rap was sent out and it is a good guide for the Committee to look at.




There being no further business, the meeting concluded, the time being 6.06pm.



Ms Sue-Anne Cutmore








 Aboriginal Advisory Committee – Monday 06 November 2017

Page 7



AA17.21     Aboriginal Advisory Committee Action Report


HPERM Ref:       D17/349502


Group:                Finance Corporate & Community Services Group 

Section:              Recreation Community & Culture


Attachments:     1. Aboriginal Advisory Committee Action Plan 6/11/17




Purpose / Summary

To report to the Aboriginal Advisory Committee on the progress and completion of actions from Aboriginal Advisory Committee meetings.



Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)


1.    The Aboriginal Advisory Committee receives the Progress Action Plan report


2.    The Aboriginal Advisory Committee discuss and consider any further actions from the Progress Action Plan report.




1.    Adopt the recommendations

Implications: This will allow the finalisation of actions in the plan.


2.    Adopt the recommendations with amendment(s)

Implications: Advisory Committee may resolve to remove or add to the recommendations and this may require further considerations or actions.



The Aboriginal Advisory Committee was established in 1997 to advise Council on the needs of Aboriginal people living in the Shoalhaven local government area. This Advisory Committee provides an opportunity for Council to develop both a structure for effective consultation and communication with Aboriginal communities

The Aboriginal Advisory Committee continue to work towards building stronger collaborative partnerships between Council and Shoalhaven Aboriginal communities and plays a vital role in promoting and increasing knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal people’s history, cultures and experiences to achieve positive outcomes.

The Advisory Committee identified key issues and actions to work towards achieving improved outcomes for Aboriginal communities of the Shoalhaven and the advancement of reconciliation.  Attached to the report is the Project Action Plan and the current status of projects.



Community Engagement

Shoalhaven City Council values its culturally diverse communities and lifestyles and is deeply committed to building stronger collaborative working partnerships with local Aboriginal communities and to provide opportunities for genuine community engagement




 Aboriginal Advisory Committee – Monday 06 November 2017

Page 9


PDF Creator


PDF Creator


PDF Creator


PDF Creator