Minutes of the Nowra CBD Revitalisation Strategy Committee

 

 

Meeting Date:     Wednesday, 15 May 2019

Location:            Jervis Bay Rooms, City Administrative Centre, Bridge Road, Nowra

Time:                   4.06pm

 

 

The following members were present:

 

Mr James Caldwell - Chairperson

Clr Patricia White

Clr Nina Digiglio

Mr Phil Costello - Director, Planning Environment and Development

Mr Paul Keech - Director Assets and Works

Mr Scott Baxter

Mr Wesley Hindmarch – arrived at 4.58pm

 

Others Present:

 

Stephen Dunshea – Acting General Manager – arrived at 5.15pm

Gordon Clark – Strategic Planning Manager

Michael Pennisi – Finance Manager

Sara McMahon – Governance Unit Manager

Matt Apolo – Engineering Design Manager

Catherine Campbell – Senior Community Development Officer

Rowan Bracken – Accountant - Management

 

 

 

Apologies / Leave of Absence

 

An apology was received from Clr Gash, Annie Aldous and Brendan Goddard.

 

 

Confirmation of the Minutes

RESOLVED (Clr White / Scott Baxter)

 

That the Minutes of the Nowra CBD Revitalisation Strategy Committee held on Wednesday 13 March 2019 be confirmed.

CARRIED

 

 

 

Declarations of Interest

 

Nil

 

 

 

Presentations

 

CBD19.17  Presentation on Access in Nowra CBD - Inclusion and Access Advisory Group

HPERM Ref: D19/76460

Arthur Ball, a member of the Inclusion and Access Advisory Group provided a presentation in relation to accessibility and made the following points:

·         Statistics

·         Dignified Equitable Access

·         Disability Disrimination Act

·         Access Benefits – Universal Design

The following video links were provided:

Why is Accessible Design Good for Everyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBSy7VrGQVU

Design for Dignity: Making your retail business accessible to people with disability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu-1gdvPCpk

Access and Inclusion is Good for Business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_MhpZ31yA

A copy of the presentation will be distributed to the members.

Clr White thanked Arthur for his presentation.

Catherine Campbell – Senior Community Development Officer and Arthur Ball advised that no applications were received during the first round of the Nowra CBD Access Improvement Program and that a second round will be advertised shortly.

 

 

 

Reports

 

CBD19.18  Outstanding / Ongoing Actions

HPERM Ref: D19/139337

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That:

1.    The Outstanding/Ongoing Action report be received for information.

2.    The following items marked in the Action Listing attached to the report as completed be removed from the listing:

a.    CBD19.9 – Nowra CBD Revitalisation Strategy Sub-Committees – deferred – Complete and Remove

b.    CBD19.2 – Grant Opportunities – Nowra CBD Businesses – Australian Government Website – Premier Cabinet – 2019 Elections – Complete and Remove

c.    CBD19.3 – Review of Terms of Reference and Membership – Deferred – Tender Panel – Complete and Remove

d.    CBD18.112 – Role Adoption – Terms of Reference Review – Complete and Remove

 

RESOLVED (Clr White / Paul Keech)

That:

1.    The Outstanding/Ongoing Action report be received for information.

2.    The following items marked in the Action Listing attached to the report as completed be removed from the listing:

a.    CBD19.9 – Nowra CBD Revitalisation Strategy Sub-Committees – deferred – Complete and Remove

b.    CBD19.2 – Grant Opportunities – Nowra CBD Businesses – Australian Government Website – Premier Cabinet – 2019 Elections – Complete and Remove

c.    CBD19.3 – Review of Terms of Reference and Membership – Deferred – Tender Panel – Complete and Remove

d.    CBD18.112 – Role Adoption – Terms of Reference Review – Complete and Remove

CARRIED

 

 

CBD19.19  Draft Capital Works Program - Proposed Projects -  Nowra CBD

HPERM Ref: D19/8904

The Committee held a discussion in relation to the Draft Capital Works Program and the following points were raised:

Clr White suggested that the Draft Capital Works Program Spreadsheet be extended out another term of Council until 2025 for budget allocations that may have been reserved for future funding projects and budget allocations, some projects needs 2 years of funding. Also need to add a note regarding the $50,000 that goes to Promotions Budget and consideration needs to be given for a future mural project, either put it in the budget now or make an adjustment later on. Clr White also suggested that this go to Council in September and that another page and or spreadsheet be added for the Promotions Budget, also need to add to the bottom where Grant Funds have been allocated and add a Grants column.

James Caldwell noted that the Committee are trying to note where all the funding allocations in relation to finance are going and that a detailed finance report is required. He also queried the invoice approval process.

It was agreed that Finance would produce a transactional report and submit a finance report to the Committee as soon as practicable. The Committee were advised to submit invoices to Tom Dimec who will then forward to appropriate staff.

Sara McMahon – Governance Unit Manager asked the Committee of its intentions of putting forward a recommendation for revoting any unspent funds. This will generate a recommendation to Council. A Finance report on the Promotions Budget is also to come to the Committee.

Clr White suggested that a future E-Meeting be held or a catch up meeting because the revote needs to go to June Council or can this be done for the July Meeting. It was decided that the revote Recommendation could occur at this time, with details on the figure of revote to be managed by Finance in the revote process.

 

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Committee review the Draft Capital Works Program (Attachment 1 - D19/151875) for the period 2019-2024 with the view of adopting a Capital Works Program at the next Committee meeting, for Council to consider.

 

RECOMMENDATION (Clr White / Paul Keech)

That:

1.      The Committee review the Draft Capital Works Program (Attachment 1 - D19/151875) for the period 2019-2024 with the view of adopting a Capital Works Program at the next Committee meeting, for Council to consider.

2.      Council reallocates any unspent or unallocated budget to the 2019/2020 Nowra CBD Revitalisation Strategy Committee budget to allow sufficient funds for the Berry Street Nowra, Streetscape works.

 

CARRIED

 

      

 

GENERAL BUSINESS

 

CBD19.20  Additional Item - Christmas Decorations - Options for 2019

 

Clr White provided a presentation in relation to options for Christmas decorations.

Options included to either engage a contractor to come and complete the install or for the Committee to purchase or hire decorations and to put up decorations with volunteers.

Companies have advised that they need to know a budget and will then be able to come back with a proposal of what they can provide.

The Committee quired whether other town centres are provided funding directly from Council for Christmas decorations and were advised this was not the case.

Discussion was held about whether additional funding for Christmas decorations may be available from Council via a donation.

Annie Aldous and Clr White will organise Public Liability Insurance etc if this is the way forward.

Scott Baxter suggested that no more than $35,000 should be spent.

 

RESOLVED (Clr White / Scott Baxter)

That the Nowra CBD Revitalisation Strategy Committee:

1.      Endorse the engagement of a contractor to hire and install the Christmas decorations for 2019;

2.      Request two (2) quotes for $35,000 and for $50,000 for the hire and installation and this information be brought back to the next meeting.

CARRIED

 

 

CBD19.21  Additional Item - Tree Replacement - Junction Street

 

Clr White advised that Annie Aldous noted that the tree in Junction Street was removed some time ago and needs to be replaced with an established tree. A large whole is currently where the tree was located.

 

 

RESOLVED (Clr White / James Caldwell)

That Council provide a report back on the cost to replace an established tree of the same species at the location in Junction Street where the tree was recently removed.

CARRIED

 

 

CBD19.22  Additional Item - Feedback - Safety - Nowra CBD

 

Clr White advised the Committee that at the recent Shoalhaven Tourism Advisory Group (STAG) meeting and also at the Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) there were several representations and concerns raised by individuals that they do not feel safe in the CBD at night. Those meetings received feedback from visitors and locals that the vibe of the CBD needs to be improved and that young people didn’t feel safe even during the day.

 

Scott Baxter raised that he had brought some issues to the Committee previously and would like a spreadsheet with projects and/or issues that are still outstanding in the CBD, such as trees in Stewart Place and hand rails etc.

 

Wesley Hindmarch advised that passive surveillance and mixed use developments in CBD areas goes towards some ways of solving issues of public safety and surveillance.

 

Clr White suggested that a time be scheduled during the day and also at night where the Committee can have a walk around the CBD to get an idea of how the CBD feels during these times. It was also suggested that the Committee make representations to the Police and invite the Police Community Safety Officer to attend the walk around with the Committee.

 

RESOLVED (Clr White / Paul Keech)

That:

1.      A time be scheduled for the Committee members to walk around the CBD both during the day and at night to get a feel for the safety concerns that have been raised.

2.      The Committee make representations to the local Police regarding safety concerns and invite the Police Community Safety Officer to attend the walk with the Committee.

CARRIED

Note from the General Manager: The Acting General Manager be invited to participate in the walk around.

 

 

CBD19.23  Additional Item - Revitalisation Competition

Wesley Hindmarch presented a discussion paper outlining the opportunities for the Committee to progress concept design in the CBD via holding revitalisation competitions. He identified the potential projects within the Nowra CBD that could benefit by a competition for design to assist in innovative and forward thinking solutions that could be later funded. These types of competitions can create State wide interest.

 

Stephen Dunshea asked if there are any other Council areas where this concept has been used. Wesley responded and advised that there has been in regional areas such as Orange and will forward the information to him.

 

James Caldwell suggested that the information from Wesley be taken away by the members and distributed to the members that are not present. The Committee can provide feedback or form a sub-committee in relation to potential proposals.

 

RESOLVED (By consent)

That this matter be reported back to the Committee and placed on the next Agenda.

CARRIED

 

 

CBD19.24  Additional item - Vacant Positions - Resignation from Lyn Kearney

 

Paul Keech advised that verbal communication had been made between Clr Gash and Lyn Kearney regarding her resignation.

 

A letter had been drafted to acknowledge the resignation and thank Mrs Kearney for her efforts.

 

RESOLVED (Clr White / James Caldwell)

That an Expression of Interest (EOI) be called for both the Community member and Business Retailer vacant positions on the Committee.

CARRIED

 

 

 

 

There being no further business, the meeting concluded, the time being 5.49pm.

 

 

Mr James Caldwell

CHAIRPERSON