Minutes of the Shoalhaven Sports Board

 

 

Meeting Date:     Wednesday, 20 March 2019

Location:            Jervis Bay Rooms, City Administrative Centre, Bridge Road, Nowra

Time:                   5.02pm

 

 

The following members were present:

 

Clr Mark Kitchener

Clr Patricia White

Clr Bob Proudfoot

Mr David Goodman

Ms Elaine Caswell

Mr Roger Walker

Ms Elizabeth Tooley

Ms Lisa Kennedy

Dr Phill Newlyn

Ms Jane Lewis - Recreation Community & Culture Manager

 

Others present:

Ms Susan Edwards – Unit Manager, Community & Recreation

Mr Kevin Norwood – Aquatics Manager

Ms Beth Britton – Facilities Coordinator

Mr Martin Aicken

 

 

 

Apologies / Leave of Absence

 

Apologies were received from Clr Alldrick, Clr Watson, Tony Hardman, Keith Wallace and Gemma Afflick.

 

 

Confirmation of the Minutes

RESOLVED (Clr White / Phill Newlyn)

 

That the Minutes of the Shoalhaven Sports Board held on Wednesday 26 September 2018 be confirmed.

CARRIED

 

 

Declarations of Interest

 

Nil.

 

 

Reports

 

SB19.1       Election of Chairperson

HPERM Ref: D18/341901

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Sports Board elect (insert name) as Acting Chairperson for the meeting.

RESOLVED (By consent)

That the Sports Board elect Phill Newlyn as Acting Chairperson for the meeting.

CARRIED

 

 

SB19.2       Shoalhaven Sports Board Membership

HPERM Ref: D18/342467

Recommendation

That

1.    The following five (5) people be appointed as community member representatives to the Shoalhaven Sports Board for a four-year term, until March 2023:

a.    Roger Walker;

b.    David Goodman;

c.    Elaine Caswell;

d.    Martin Aicken; and

e.    Gemma Afflick.

2.    All persons who nominated for the positions be thanked for their interest in the Board and its activities.

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That

1.    The following five (5) people be appointed as community member representatives to the Shoalhaven Sports Board for a four-year term, until March 2023:

a.    Roger Walker;

b.    David Goodman;

c.    Elaine Caswell;

d.    Martin Aicken; and

e.    Gemma Afflick.

2.    All persons who nominated for the positions be thanked for their interest in the Board and its activities.

CARRIED

 

 

SB19.3       Shoalhaven Sports Board - Current Projects Update

HPERM Ref: D18/398696

Susan Edwards spoke to the report.

Kevin Norwood advised that Council are currently recruiting staff for the Shoalhaven Indoor Sports Centre and noted that training will need to be conducted. The building is at the construction stage and the floor is being laid. Once an occupation Certificate is issued the fit-out will occur. Opening of the facility is estimated to occur in mid-September. Schools, Sports Board and community groups will be invited to the opening. It was also noted that the carpark has been opened.

Lisa Kennedy asked whether basketball will be the priority user of the facility. Kevin advised that initially basketball will be transitioned to the new facility, then bookings will be open online to other sporting groups. Various community groups are showing interest in use of the facility as it is a multi-purpose facility.

Clr Proudfoot raised concerns about the standard of the field at St Georges Basin and the quality of work undertaken by the contractor to construct the field. Susan advised that there are inherent challenges with the site and that the land was initially donated to Council as part of a subdivision. Susan advised that Council is working with the users of the field to address the issues and that drainage works are currently being undertaken.

David Goodman raised the release of the Football NSW review of sportsgrounds used for football. Susan will follow up and report back to the Sports Board. It’s not clear what criteria were used to evaluate the grounds and Council wasn’t notified of the review being undertaken.

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That

1.    The report regarding Current Projects Update be received for information.

2.    A member of Shoalhaven City Council’s Inclusion and Access Advisory Group be invited to participate as a member of the assessment panel for Council’s 2019 Sports Capital Works Partnership Program.

RESOLVED (Clr White / Elaine Caswell)

That

1.      The report regarding Current Projects Update be received for information.

2.      A member of Shoalhaven City Council’s Inclusion and Access Advisory Group be invited to participate as a member of the assessment panel for Council’s 2019 Sports Capital Works Partnership Program.

3.      If required, amend the Policy/Guidelines to ensure that there are three representatives from the Sports Board on the Assessment panel for Council’s 2019 Sports Capital Works Partnership Program.

CARRIED

 

 

SB19.4       Sports Board Terms of Reference

HPERM Ref: D19/11488

Lisa Kennedy suggested an amendment to the Terms of Reference to clarify that members need to re-apply at the conclusion of their term.

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the report on the changes to the Shoalhaven Sports Board – Terms of Reference be received for information.

RECOMMENDATION (Lisa Kennedy / Elizabeth Tooley)

That the Shoalhaven Sports Board – Terms of Reference be amended to add the following new fourth point to clause 3.4:

·         Community members may re-apply for nomination at the conclusion of their term.

CARRIED

 

 

SB19.5       Illawarra/South Coast Sport Youth Engagement Forum - 30 October 2018

HPERM Ref: D19/47564

Phill Newlyn tabled a report and spoke to the barriers to youth participation in sport.

The Committee discussed transfer of membership between clubs and how that may be a barrier to youth participation.

Jane Lewis also attended the Forum. An issue that was raised was the direct involvement of Youth in sports administration. The Sports Board may wish to consider how to engage better with young people. It was suggested to invite Illawarra Academy of Sport Shoalhaven scholarship recipients to future meetings.

Clr Proudfoot and Phill noted the gender difference in participation in sport and made observations on the decline in male participation and increase in female participation in sport as well as gender differences in coaching styles.

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Board receive the report on the Illawarra/South Coast Sport Youth Engagement Forum for information.

RESOLVED (Clr White / Elaine Caswell)

That the Board receive the report on the Illawarra/South Coast Sport Youth Engagement Forum for information.

CARRIED

 

 

GENERAL BUSINESS

 

SB19.6       Additional Item - Ulladulla Lighthouse Oval

Clr Kitchener raised issues concerning Ulladulla Lighthouse Oval such as security fencing, vandalism, leaky tap and outdated lighting. Clr Kitchener advised that he has submitted requests through Council email and raised MERITs and asked staff what had been done to address the issues.

Susan advised that the tap was decommissioned when irrigation was installed, that the site was top-dressed three years ago and Council are paying electricity charges as per Council resolution. Susan also noted that Council has met onsite with users of the field.

Susan agreed to check and respond to Clr Kitchener.

 

 

SB19.7       Additional Item - Swim Sport and Fitness update

Jane introduced Kevin Norwood, Manager of Shoalhaven Swim, Sport and Fitness and advised that there are some changes in Recreation, Community & Culture, with two staff members moving into Kevin’s team, which has more of an operational/service delivery focus.

It was also noted that with increase in successful grant funding applications the Community & Recreation unit has now increased capacity for small/minor project delivery for sportsgrounds and open space with the establishment of a Project Coordinator.

 

 

SB19.8       Additional Item - Milton and Cambewarra Pony Clubs - leasing of grounds

Elaine Caswell noted that Milton and Cambewarra Pony Clubs are now required to lease their grounds and asked about grants for leasing grounds. It was noted that the Milton ground was previously run by a management committee, which was disbanded, so they now lease the grounds.

Susan Edwards offered to investigate with the Property Unit and report back to the Board.

 

 

SB19.9       Additional Item - Sporting Hall of Fame Guidelines and Policy Review

Elaine Caswell raised the issue of a recipient of recognition in the Sporting Hall of Fame receiving a suspension from their sport for 28 weeks and gaining notoriety for behaviour. Elaine suggested that the recipient’s photograph be removed from the Sporting Hall of Fame.

Clr White suggested that Council review the Policy. The Board discussed inclusion of a clause in the policy where a recipient has been charged with an offence.

RECOMMENDATION (Clr White / Lisa Kennedy)

That Council investigate and review the Sporting Hall of Fame Guidelines and Policy for Award recipients where an offence has been committed by a recipient.

CARRIED

 

 

SB19.10     Additional Item - Strategic Plan

Lisa Kennedy noted that the Shoalhaven Sports Board discussed promotion of the Sports Board in the community at the meeting on 26 September 2019 and the possibility of a communication plan.

Susan Edwards suggested regular review of the Strategic Plan, and possibly including it as a standing item on the agenda.

Clr White suggested holding a workshop to prioritise actions from the strategic plan for the next 12 months. The Monument room was proposed as a venue.

RESOLVED (By consent)

That the Shoalhaven Sports Board hold a workshop on 10 April at 5.00pm for Sports Board Members only to prioritise actions from the Strategic Plan for the next 12 months.

CARRIED

 

 

SB19.11     Additional item - Illawarra Academy of Sport

Lisa Kennedy noted that the Illawarra Academy of Sport had a new CEO and a renewed Strategic Plan. Lisa noted that the CEO would like to attend the next Sports Board meeting on 12 June 2019.

Lisa also asked for a list of Shoalhaven participants in the scholarship program. Kevin Norwood agreed to look into whether that can be provided, given privacy protection.

 

 

SB19.12     Additional Item - Dogs Off Leash Review

Lisa Kennedy raised concerns about dog off leash areas on cricket grounds and sporting fields and was advised that there will be an opportunity to make a submission as part of the review. The Access Areas for Dogs Policy is being reviewed.

 

 

SB19.13     Additional Item - Lets Light up Football

Jane Lewis advised that grants are open under the Lets Light up Football Program. Jane asked members to let Council know if their Club is applying for funding and Council can provide a letter of support to the club for approved projects.

 

 

There being no further business, the meeting concluded, the time being 6.45pm.

 

 

Dr Phill Newlyn

CHAIRPERSON