Minutes of the Aboriginal Advisory Committee

 

 

Meeting Date:     Monday, 13 August 2018

Location:            Jervis Bay Rooms, City Administrative Centre, Bridge Road, Nowra

Time:                   4.00pm

 

 

The following members were present:

 

Ms Sue-Anne Cutmore - Chairperson

Clr Mark Kitchener

Clr Nina Cheyne

Clr John Levett

Clr Bob Proudfoot

Clr Patricia White – arrived 5.04pm

Mr Noel Wellington

Ms Patricia Lester

Ulladulla LALC – Paul Keith

Mr Charlie Ashby – arrived 5.13pm

Ms Janaya Hennessy

Nowra LALC - Sharlene Cruickshank – left 4.51pm

Mr Shane Brown

 

Others present:

Mr Gordon Clark – Strategic Planning Manager

Mr Ray Massie – Coast and Estuaries Officer

Ms Margaret Simoes – Community Development Officer - Aboriginal

Ms Cathy Campbell – Senior Community Development Officer

Ms Lili Hutchinson – Social Infrastructure Planner

Mr Trevor Cronk – Unit Manager - Property

 

 

 

Apologies / Leave of Absence

 

Apologies were received from Leonie Ebzery, Valda Corrigan, Charlie Ashby, Clr Findley, Clr Gartner.

 

 

Confirmation of the Minutes

RESOLVED (Nowra LALC - Sharlene Cruickshank / Clr Cheyne)

That the Minutes of the Aboriginal Advisory Committee held on Monday 07 May 2018 be confirmed.

CARRIED

 

 

 

 

Declarations of Interest

 

Nil

 

 

Reports

 

AA18.22     Callala Bay Headland Midden - Interpretive Signage

HPERM Ref: D18/176280

Lili Hutchinson - Social Infrastructure Planner addressed the meeting and advised that Council have engaged a consultant Judy Denby. Council is also waiting for Jerrinja to provide dimensions for the sign and then will review the content options for Aboriginal Land Council interpretive signage.

 

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee accepts this report for information only.

 

RESOLVED (By consent)

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee accepts this report for information only.

CARRIED

 

 

AA18.23     Uluru Statement From the Heart

HPERM Ref: D18/245400

Members discussed various matters regarding the Statement including changing the name from Uluru Statement from the Heart to just Statement from the Heart, the meaning and intent of the statement and community engagement undertaken or needed.

Patricia Lester addressed the meeting and suggested that the consultation should be the whole of Shoalhaven and should be inclusive of all people for reconciliation purposes.

 

Recommendation

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee receive this report and note the letters that have been received from members of the community regarding Council’s decision not to support the Uluru Statement from the Heart for information. 

 

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That:

1.      The report regarding the Uluru Statement from the Heart be received for information.

2.      The Aboriginal Advisory Committee adopt and support the Statement from the Heart (and remove the word Uluru); and

3.      Request that Council give in principal support for the Statement from the Heart and urge the Federal Government to do the same and adopt the Statement.

For:             Sue-Anne Cutmore, Clr Kitchener, Clr Cheyne, Clr Levett, Patricia Lester, Shane Brown, Noel Wellington, Janaya Hennessy, Sharlene Cruickshank and Paul Keith

Against:    Clr Proudfoot

 

 

AA18.24     Invitation to nominate a representative for the Business and Employment Development Committee

HPERM Ref: D18/253946

Note: Sharlene Cruikshank left at 4.51pm

Margaret Simoes - Community Development Officer - Aboriginal and the Chairperson called for any nominees who wish to be a representative on the Business and Employment Development Committee.

Members that were present did not nominate.

Margaret Simoes - Community Development Officer - Aboriginal advised that the matter should be deferred and she will put out an EOI to all the members of the Committee and report back to the next meeting.

 

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee nominates [a representative] as its representative on the Business and Employment Development Committee.

 

RESOLVED (By consent)

That this matter be deferred and an EOI be sent to all Committee members and this matter be reported back to the next meeting.

CARRIED

 

 

AA18.25     Request for Advice - Development of Sensory Garden and Native Flora Area - Boongaree

HPERM Ref: D18/254311

Note: Clr White arrived at 5.04pm

Lili Hutchinson - Social Infrastructure Planner addressed the meeting in relation to Berry District Park, now named “Boongaree” which was the name chosen by the Community following community consultation.

Have consulted with Nowra LALC and they have advised that they have land and will provide it for a Greenhouse.

If the Committee members know of any local people in the community that would be happy to volunteer their time and assistance to contact Lili directly.

Noel suggested that staff get in touch with the CEO of the Land Council and organise a meeting with the Board in relation to the signage in and around the park.

 

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee:

1.   Participate in discussion and provide advice on the development of a sensory garden and native flora area at Boongaree.

2.   Nominate any additional people the committee believes should be consulted as part of this project.

 

RESOLVED (By consent)

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee:

1.   Participate in discussion and provide advice on the development of a sensory garden and native flora area at Boongaree.

2.   Nominate any additional people the committee believes should be consulted as part of this project.

CARRIED

 

 

AA18.26     Federal Court Proceedings - South Coast People Native Title Claim

HPERM Ref: D18/221932

Note: Charlie Ashby arrived at 5.13pm

Trevor Cronk – Unit Manager - Property addressed the meeting and advised the following:

·         Crown Lands Management –under the new Crown Land Management Act, Council is referred to as the Crown Land Manager.

·         Council is to manage all Crown Land as Public Land so there is consistancy

·         All Councils will (if required) employ/engage a Native Titles Manager

·         The Native Title Claim was lodged on 3 August 2017 by the South Coast People this has passed the gateway processes, and the next step is to become registered with the Federal Court.

·         All those with an interest in Crown Land would have received a notification

·         The Federal Court will appoint a case officer to look at the claims

·         Applications close on 29 August 2018

 

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee receive the report for information.

 

RESOLVED (By consent)

That the Aboriginal Advisory Committee receive the report for information.

CARRIED

 

  

 

General Business

 

AA18.28     Additional Item - Damage and Rubbish on Cullunghutti

Charlie Ashby addressed the meeting and advised that he regularly ascends Cullunghutti and has noticed that several rocks have been scarred from the BigFoot Trucks and also a significant amount of rubbish left at the summit by visitors.

Noel Wellington advised that he is meeting with National Parks on 22 August and he will provide Charlie with the information.

 

RESOLVED (By consent)

That a report be submitted to the next meeting of the Aboriginal Advisory Committee with an update of the Plan of Management for Cullunghutti.

CARRIED

 

 

AA18.27     Presentation - Peter McLaughlin - Aboriginal Advisory Committee Action Plan

HPERM Ref: D18/267545

Peter McLaughlin provided a presentation at the conclusion of the meeting.

As agreed by the Committee, Peter McLaughin attended the meeting to discuss the Aboriginal Advisory Action Plan.

 

 

 

 

 

 

There being no further business, the meeting concluded, the time being 5.25pm.

 

 

Ms Sue-Anne Cutmore

CHAIRPERSON