Minutes of the Shoalhaven Sports Board

 

 

Meeting Date:     Wednesday, 27 June 2018

Location:            Jervis Bay Rooms, City Administrative Centre, Bridge Road, Nowra

Time:                   5:00pm

 

 

The following members were present:

 

Clr Bob Proudfoot

Clr Patricia White

Mr David Goodman - Chairperson

Mr Syd Weller

Ms Elaine Caswell

Mr Tony Hardman

Ms Lisa Kennedy

Mr Phil Newlyn

Mr Keith Wallace

 

Others present:

Ms Susan Edwards – Unit Manager, Community & Recreation

Ms Jane Lewis – Section Manager, Recreation, Community & Culture

Ms Beth Britton – Facilities Coordinator

Mr Stephen Dunshea – Director, Finance, Corporate & Community Services

Mr Colin Wood (arrived 5.08pm, left 5.24pm)

 

 

Note: The Chair congratulated Syd Weller in obtaining an OAM on the 2018 Queen’s Birthday Honours List. Council, at its meeting of 26 June 2018 congratulated recipients of awards (see MIN18.453).

 

 

Apologies / Leave of Absence

 

An apology was received from Elizabeth Tooley.

 

 

Confirmation of the Minutes

RESOLVED (Clr White / Syd Weller)

 

That the Minutes of the Shoalhaven Sports Board held on Wednesday 28 March 2018 be confirmed.

CARRIED

 

 

Declarations of Interest

 

Nil.

 

Presentations

 

SB18.1       West Street Oval and Facilities

HPERM Ref: D18/81085

Sam Driesen Club President and Chrissy Lakey Club Vice President, Nowra Albatross Football Club would like to address the Committee in relation to West Street Oval and its facilities.

 

Sam Driesden and Chrissy Lakey gave their apologies to the Board.

 

 

SB18.6       Discussion - Requirements under the Infrastructure State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) to meet the requirements of the Building Code of Australia (BCA)

HPERM Ref: D18/203380

Colin Wood advised that there is no need for a Development Application where the development complies with the Infrastructure SEPP, the Building Code of Australia and the basic development requirements. This simplifies and streamlines the process for minor structures as it removes need for development application. The Infrastructure SEPP has been in force since 2009.  The SEPP may not apply to floodprone, bushfire prone and coastal zones, therefore clubs/associations should contact Council in the first instance.

Colin asked for a preliminary email to himself and Cathy Bern with detailed plans and site plans before commencing the process, the plans will be assessed for compliance with Building Regulations. Council can undertake inspections during construction and a letter of completion is issued instead of a certificate of compliance.

Colin gave an example of how it might work, such as building a shed for storage and amenities on a parcel of land owned by Council. The owner of the land is required to initiate, this means that prior to any plans being drawn up Council staff should be consulted regarding any clubs proposals. The club or organisation can have plans drawn up. Cathy and Colin will assess the drawings for compliance and provide a letter identifying issues or approval to construct, then the club or organisation can commence construction.

Council has the discretion to reduce fees, it is anticipated to be more economical than the standard process.

Action: Susan Edwards offered to distribute a link to the relevant provisions of the Infrastructure SEPP to Committee members.

 

Note: Colin Wood left the meeting, the time being 5.24pm.

 

 

Reports

 

SB18.7       Shoalhaven Sports Board - Current Projects Update

HPERM Ref: D18/189817

Susan Edwards spoke to the report and advised that grant applications for 15 projects from Council have progressed to the next round.

 

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the report regarding Current Projects Update be received for information.

 

RESOLVED (Phil Newlyn / Elaine Caswell)

That the report regarding Current Projects Update be received for information.

CARRIED

 

Note: Stephen Dunshea left the meeting, the time being 5.30pm.

 

SB18.8       Draft Mission, Values and Aims Statement

HPERM Ref: D18/196744

Tony Hardman raised some issues about the IPART SRV and how it’s applied.

Clr White advised that $500,000 was set aside for sporting fields and that every year Council has to report back to IPART. Any unspent funds get carried over to the next year.

Susan Edwards added that it is intended to be for the surface of the fields only, not for floodlighting or amenities.

 

Recommendation

That the Shoalhaven Sports Board note the Draft Mission, Values & Aims Document forwarded to the Board from Phill Newlyn presented as Attachment 1 to the report.

 

RECOMMENDATION (Phil Newlyn / Tony Hardman)

That the Shoalhaven Sports Board endorses the Mission, Values & Aims Document presented as Attachment 1 to the report and reports to Council for adoption.

CARRIED

 

 

Addendum Reports

 

SB18.9       Illawarra Shoalhaven Regional Sport and Active Recreation Plan feedback

HPERM Ref: D18/207457

Susan Edwards spoke to the report and draft Plan.

 

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Shoalhaven Sports Board

1.      Be informed of the Illawarra Shoalhaven Regional Sport and Active Recreation Plan consultation period which runs until 5.00pm Friday 19 July 2018.

2.    Submit a submission to the Office of Sport from the Shoalhaven Sports Board.

 

RESOLVED (Elaine Caswell / Tony Hardman)

That:

1.      The Shoalhaven Sports Board notes the consultation period for the Illawarra Shoalhaven Regional Sport and Active Recreation Plan runs until 5.00pm Friday 19 July 2018.

2.      Council write to local sporting organisations to encourage them to make a submission to the Office of Sport.

CARRIED

 

 

GENERAL BUSINESS

 

SB18.10     Additional item - various matters discussed

 

Note: the following matters were raised and comments made as follows:

 

Floodlighting charges

The Chair has spoken with the Director Finance, Corporate & Community to provide some background and suggested to waive debt for 2015, 2016 and 2017.

 

Wish list and priority areas

Shoalhaven Football Association have put forward their wish list and priority areas, this was tabled at the meeting. David will email. Susan advised that Council have met with cricket and AFL associations, and reiterated that any proposed projects need to go to clubs association for endorsement prior to be submitted to Council.

 

Hall of Fame

Syd Weller asked when was the Last Hall of Fame. Susan Edwards advised that it was in 2014.

 

Working With Children Check

Elaine Caswell noted that new Working With Children legislation became effective this week and suggested that clubs clarify who is required to have the check.

 

Illawarra Sports Forum

Lisa Kennedy attended the Illawarra Sports Forum. Lisa advised that representatives from State Associations to local clubs. The Forum was identifying what support was needed to organisations. Illawarra Coaching Network is to be established to share information between groups and will include the Shoalhaven. Lisa will forward materials to the Board.

 

Succession Planning for Junior Sport

Tony Hardman raised the issue of succession planning for junior sport and advised that a company in Ulladulla can assist clubs to prepare a 5 year succession plan and grant applications. Tony will find out more, such as whether the owner of the company would be willing to share their work as a template for sporting organisations.

 

 

There being no further business, the meeting concluded, the time being 6.10pm.

 

 

Mr David Goodman

CHAIRPERSON