Minutes of the Shoalhaven Access Advisory Committee

 

 

Meeting Date:     Monday, 5 March 2018

Location:            Osprey Room, Level 1, City Administrative Building, Bridge Road, Nowra

Time:                   11.00am

 

 

The following members were present:

 

Clr Nina Cheyne - Chairperson

Ms Kylie Knight

Mr Arthur Ball

Mr Theo Bagou

Mr Bill Deaves

Ms Annette Pham

Mr Gregory Coulthart, representing Ms Ann Sudmalis - MP

Ms Jackie Kay

Ms Nola Stephens

 

Others present:

Mr Brad Davis – Manager, Asset Strategy

Ms Melissa Andrews – Community Development Officer

Ms Jenna Tague – Team Coordinator, Strategy South

Mr Colin Wood – Section Manager, Building and Compliance

Mr Ray Massie – Coast and Estuaries Officer

Ms Helen Waterhouse – Community Development Officer

Ms Donna Corbyn – Community Development Officer

Mr Robert Chewying

Ms Linda Robinson

Ms Kate White – Uniting NDIS Illawarra & Shoalhaven Local Area Coordination

Mr Paul Snudden – Uniting NDIS Illawarra & Shoalhaven Local Area Coordination

 

The meeting opened, the time being 11.03am.

  

 

Apologies / Leave of Absence

 

Apologies were received from Mel Gorman, Chris Mitchell and Tom Dimec.

 

Note: The Chair noted that Brett Tory, non-attending member, had passed away.

 

Confirmation of the Minutes

RESOLVED (Jackie Kay / Gregory Coulthart)

 

That the Minutes of the Shoalhaven Access Advisory Committee held on Monday 20 November 2017 be confirmed.

CARRIED

 

 

 

Declarations of Interest

 

Nil.

 

SAA18.5    Action Table - Shoalhaven Access Advisory Committee

HPERM Ref: D18/63286

Note: This item was brought forward to discuss Item 1 of the Action Table.

Jenna Tague provided a PowerPoint presentation on the amendments to the Car Parking Code and Standard.

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Committee receive this report for information.

 

RESOLVED (By consent)

That the Committee receive this report for information and support the amendments to the Car Parking Code and Standard.

CARRIED

 

 

 

 

Presentations

 

SAA18.1    National Disability Insurance Scheme - Update by Mel Gorman, Spinal Cord Injuries Australia

HPERM Ref: D17/274265

Note: Mel Gorman was absent from the meeting and was unable to provide an update. This item is to be deferred to the next meeting.

 

 

SAA18.3    Luke and Kim Stojanovic - Beach Access Vincentia

HPERM Ref: D18/68717

Luke Stojanovic was a freestyle motocross rider, involved in an accident resulting in brain injury.

Luke raised $78,000.00 for equipment to be used in hospital unit, riding on a recumbant pushbike from Nowra to Liverpool. The Chair and Committee acknowledged his efforts.

Luke now wants to raise money for a beach access for Vincentia.

Brad noted that beach access and mats have been researched and Council had previously installed mobi mats. Unfortunately these required high levels of resources as the sand moved with different weather conditions. Ray Massie joined the meeting, the time being 11.27am.

Ray advised that a product called polybelt used at Culburra Beach surf club for vehicular use, is still in place after 10 years of use. An alternative product was trialled unsuccessfully. 

Plantation Point at Vincentia has been identified as the preferred location as the height gradient is achievable through an existing boat ramp and there is an accessible toilet facility. Ray discussed utilising the existing boat ramp, possibly with adaptations provided in path networks, to provide access to the beach. Investigations are continuing and Ray will undertake further investigation to select an appropriate location to report back to the Committee.

To inform the Committee on plans to fundraise for Vincentia Beach Access.

RESOLVED (By consent)

That the Committee:

1.      Support the Vincentia Beach Access project in principle;

2.      Request a report to Council from staff in relation to the feasibility of the Beach Access project, including possible locations and use of existing boat ramps.

CARRIED

 

 

 

SAA18.2    Berry District Park Detailed Concept Plan - Liliana Hutchinson

HPERM Ref: D18/3356

Melissa Andrews provided an update to the Committee on the Berry District Park and tabled a flyer.

Melissa noted that further consultation with children (aged 0-18) will be undertaken and that the project is not at formal design stage yet. Consultation with Rotary, Community Consultative Body and the Access and Advisory Committee has already been undertaken. To provide further feedback, please email Liliana Hutchinson at liliana.hutchinson@shoalhaven.nsw.gov.au.

 

 

SAA18.3    Luke and Kim Stojanovic - Beach Access Vincentia

HPERM Ref: D18/68717

Note: This item was dealt with earlier in the meeting.

 

 

Reports

 

SAA18.4    Adoption of Terms of Reference

HPERM Ref: D18/7699

Recommendation

That the Shoalhaven Access Advisory Committee adopt the changes decided by the group at the Planning Day held on 15/11/2017.

1.      Adopt the Terms of Reference as outlined in the attached document.

2.      Change the name of the committee to Inclusion and Access Advisory Group.

 

RECOMMENdation (Nola Stephens / Arthur Ball)

That Council adopt the changes decided by the group at the Planning Day held on 15/11/2017 and supported by the Shoalhaven Access Advisory Committee.

1.    Adopt the Terms of Reference as outlined in the attached document.

2.    Change the name of the committee to Inclusion and Access Advisory Group.

CARRIED

 

 

 

SAA18.6    Additional Item - Action Table - Shoalhaven Access Advisory Committee

 

The attached Action Table was discussed and updated.

 

Note: Donna Corbyn and Helen Waterhouse arrived at the meeting, the time being 12.06pm

 

RESOLVED (By consent)

That this Committee receive this report for information.

CARRIED

 

 

SAA18.7    Additional item - Action Table - Adult Lift and Change Toilet for Huskisson

Annette Pham advised that she met with Anne Sudmalis, MP, and asked whether the $600,000.00 originally provided for the pathways and the memorial at White Sands Park could be re-allocated towards a lift and change facility at the White Sands toilets.

Annette reported that Anne Sudmalis advised that she was not against the proposal, however, if Council would like to re-allocate the funds, Council would need to write to Anne Sudmalis, who would then write to the provider of the funds for approval.

Note: Staff commented that grant funding received would be specific to a project and that the project manager be contacted to discuss as they would be involved with stakeholders, especially in relation to the memorial.

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That:

1.      Kylie Knight write to the provider of the funding to enquire whether, if funds were to be reallocated, would Council need to re-apply for the funding; and, if Council would not need to re-apply for the funding, then:

2.      The Committee to write to Council seeking a variation/diversion of the funds ($600,000.00) previously provided for the pathways and the memorial at White Sands Park, for the White Sands toilet facility.

 

 

 

SAA18.8    Additional item - Action Table - Lift and Change - Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS)

Annette Pham sent consultation document to the Committee on the Regulatory Impact Statement for the Lift & Change Toilet Facilities Standards out for comment.

Brad Davis noted that the Access and Advisory Committee have agreed that the toilet in the lift and change room must comply with AS1428 and not the Changing Places guidelines.

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That:

1.      Council make a submission on the Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS).

2.      The Shoalhaven Access Advisory Committee drafts a letter to include as an attachment to Council’s submission.

CARRIED

 

 

 

GENERAL BUSINESS

SAA18.9    Additional item - Accessible Buses - River Festival

 

The issue of accessible buses for River Festival and other events, such as the Baton Relay, was discussed. Members suggested to source other funding and request directly through the River Festival Committee.

 

RESOLVED (By consent)

That the Committee:

1.      Invite staff from Tourism department to the next Committee meeting to reinforce the Shoalhaven Access and Advisory Committee request for inclusivity by all for inclusive events.

2.      Write to the River Festival Committee requesting they provide accessible transport for the 2018 event.

CARRIED

 

 

 

SAA18.10  Additional item - Beach Wheelchair Access

 

Donna Corbyn provided an update on beach wheelchair access. Donna noted that Council provided initial support through applying for grant funding, promotion and development of materials and doesn’t own the wheelchairs. The wheelchairs have been handed over to partners and Council has entered a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with partners. The MoU provides for Council to deal with any warranty issues and partners (surf clubs and two Holiday Haven Tourist Parks) to store and provide chairs for patrons through a booking at their discretion. Each partner has one adult and one child’s wheelchair.

Donna agreed to provide a copy of the MoU for the Committee.

Concerns were raised about equitable access to the wheelchairs with an example shared of a chair being booked for a week. It was suggested that community members could write to partners about access to beach wheelchairs, in the first instance. If unsuccessful, it is proposed to discuss at a future meeting and draft a letter from this Committee.

 

 

 

SAA18.11  Additional item - Seniors Festival

 

Helen Waterhouse provided an update on the Seniors Festival. Helen tabled a flyer at the meeting and noted that numbers are limited.

 

 

 

SAA18.12  Additional item - Revitalisation of Access within Nowra CBD

 

Helen Waterhouse spoke to the Committee about the Access Improvement Financial Assistance Program within Nowra. Commercial business within Nowra have been given the opportunity to obtain funding to make their shops more accessible. Two applications made so far. The funding is available until end of this financial year. Helen sought volunteers to door-knock around the CBD to encourage additional applications. Interested members are to contact Helen, whose details are on the flyer circulated among members present, or contact Melissa Andrews.

 

 

 

SAA18.13  Additional item - Livvi's Place - Mollymook All Inclusive Play Space

 

The Chair and Committee acknowledged Helen Waterhouse’s efforts in arranging Livvi’s Place at Mollymook.

 

 

 

The Chair acknowledged the work of committee members and staff.

 

 

 

 

There being no further business, the meeting concluded, the time being 1.06pm.

 

 

Clr Nina Cheyne

CHAIRPERSON