Minutes of the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee

 

 

Meeting Date:     Tuesday, 16 January 2018

Location:            Jervis Bay Room 3, City Administrative Centre, Bridge Road, Nowra

Time:                   9.40am

 

 

The following members were present:

 

Mr Daniel Dunstan – Convener/Chairperson

Mr Ian McManus

Mr Alan Trass

Mr Stuart Coughlan

Ms Amy Thomson

Ms Anna Paul

Clr Patricia White

 

Others Present:

Clr John Levett

 

  

 

Apologies / Leave of Absence

Nil

 

 

Confirmation of the Minutes

RESOLVED (By consent)

That the Minutes of the Traffic Committee held on Tuesday 12 December 2017 be confirmed.

CARRIED

 

 

 

Business Arising from Previous Minutes

Nil

 

 

Reports of the Convenor

 

TC18.1       Regulatory Signage and Line Marking Plans - Bayswood Estate - Vincentia (PN 3259)

HPERM Ref: D18/9737

Recommendation

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the proposed signage and line marking associated with  Stages 14-16, Bayswood Estate, Vincentia, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF2018/01(a, b, c), subject to:

1.    The No Stopping zone at the turnaround area on road 3 be extended to the northern boundary of lot 1617 on both sides of the road.

2.    All Give Way intersections with TB hold lines to have TB1 lines extended from the centreline.

 

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the proposed signage and line marking associated with  Stages 14-16, Bayswood Estate, Vincentia, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF2018/01(a, b, c), subject to:

1.    The No Stopping zone at the turnaround area on road 3 be extended to the northern boundary of lot 1617 on both sides of the road.

2.    All Give Way intersections with TB hold lines to have TB1 lines extended from the centreline.

CARRIED

 

 

TC18.2       Disabled Parking Space - Clifton Park - Clifton Street - Sanctuary Point (PN 3437)

HPERM Ref: D18/11120

Recommendation

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the proposed dedicated parking space for people with disabilities and associated signage and line marking, Clifton Park, Clifton Street, Sanctuary Point, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF2018/02.

 

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the proposed dedicated parking space for people with disabilities and associated signage and line marking, Clifton Park, Clifton Street, Sanctuary Point, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF2018/02.

CARRIED

 

 

TC18.3       Proposed Pedestrian Refuge - Prince Edward Avenue - Culburra Beach (PN 3440)

HPERM Ref: D18/11143

Ms Amy Thomson advised that the Roads and Maritime Services have concerns due to the size of the median island being reduced and the location of the pedestrian refuge.  Roads and Maritime Services will have no objection if the Transport Engineer states in the minutes the reasoning behind this decision.

The Transport Engineer advised that there are resident driveways either side and it has been designed to allow the residents to maintain the same access level, consistent with Council’s network.  Additionally, alternate locations for the pedestrian refuge had been investigated but have not been viable in conjunction with the future road rehabilitation scope of works.

It was suggested that pedestrian bollard could be installed along the path to the skate park to slow children down instead of running out straight onto the road. (The Transport Engineer will investigate).

Recommendation

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the installation of the proposed pedestrian refuge and associated signage and line marking on Prince Edward Avenue, Culburra Beach adjacent to the Curley’s Bay Reserve, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF2018/03.

 

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the installation of the proposed pedestrian refuge and associated signage and line marking on Prince Edward Avenue, Culburra Beach adjacent to the Curley’s Bay Reserve, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF2018/03.

CARRIED

 

 

TC18.4       No Stopping zone 'Buses Excepted' - Intersection Meroo Road and Emerald Drive - Bomaderry (PN 3456)

HPERM Ref: D18/11188

Recommendation

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be requested to arrange for the installation of a 55m (approx.) No Stopping zone 'Buses Excepted' on the western side of Meroo Road at the intersection and a 35m (approx.) No Stopping zone 'Buses Excepted' on the eastern side of Meroo Road opposite the intersection for the length of the turning treatments, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/04.

 

Recommendation (By consent)

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be requested to arrange for the installation of a 55m (approx.) No Stopping zone 'Buses Excepted' on the western side of Meroo Road at the intersection and a 35m (approx.) No Stopping zone 'Buses Excepted' on the eastern side of Meroo Road opposite the intersection for the length of the turning treatments, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/04.

CARRIED

 

 

TC18.5       No Stopping zone extension - MacGibbon Parade - Old Erowal Bay (PN 3457)

HPERM Ref: D18/11212

Recommendation

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be requested to arrange for the installation of an extension of 20m (approx.) to the No Stopping zone on the northern side of MacGibbon Parade, east of The Wool Road, Old Erowal Bay, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/05.

 

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be requested to arrange for the installation of an extension of 20m (approx.) to the No Stopping zone on the northern side of MacGibbon Parade, east of The Wool Road, Old Erowal Bay, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/05.

CARRIED

 

 

TC18.6       Signage and Line Marking - Meat Processing Plant - Bolong Road - Bomaderry - Manildra - Dairy Farmers (PN 3468)

HPERM Ref: D18/11234

Recommendation

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the signage and line marking associated with the approved development DA14/1327, 220 Bolong Road, Bolong, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/06 (a, b).

 

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the signage and line marking associated with the approved development DA14/1327, 220 Bolong Road, Bolong, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/06 (a, b).

CARRIED

 

 

TC18.7       Signage and Line Marking - Concept Design of Ethanol Intersection Upgrade Works at Manildra - Bolong Bomaderry (PN 3459)

HPERM Ref: D18/11249

Recommendation

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the signage and line marking associated with the approved modification MP 06_0228 MOD 12 – Beverage Grade Ethanol, Manildra Group Pty Ltd, Lot 1 DP 838753, Lot B DP 334511AND Lot B DP 376494 Bolong Road, Bolong, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/07 (a, b).

 

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the signage and line marking associated with the approved modification MP 06_0228 MOD 12 – Beverage Grade Ethanol, Manildra Group Pty Ltd, Lot 1 DP 838753, Lot B DP 334511AND Lot B DP 376494 Bolong Road, Bolong, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/07 (a, b).

CARRIED

 

 

TC18.8       No Stopping extension - 164 Illaroo Road - North Nowra (PN 3460)

HPERM Ref: D18/11294

Recommendation

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the extension of the No Stopping zones on the northern and southern sides of Illaroo Rd east of McMahons Rd, North Nowra, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF2018/08.

 

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the extension of the No Stopping zones on the northern and southern sides of Illaroo Rd east of McMahons Rd, North Nowra, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF2018/08.

CARRIED

 

 

TC18.9       Proposed Roundabout - Paradise Beach Rd / Kingsford Smith Cres - Sanctuary Point (PN 3461)

HPERM Ref: D18/11310

Recommendation

That the General Manager (Director Assets & Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the proposed mountable roundabout and associated signage and line marking at the intersection of Paradise Beach Road and Kingsford Smith Crescent, Sanctuary Point, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/09.

 

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That the General Manager (Director Assets & Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the proposed mountable roundabout and associated signage and line marking at the intersection of Paradise Beach Road and Kingsford Smith Crescent, Sanctuary Point, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/09.

CARRIED

 

 

TC18.10     Signage and Linemarking - Moresby Street and Vendetta Street Subdivision - Nowra (PN 3464)

HPERM Ref: D18/11336

Note: Daniel Dunstan will send the engineering documents to Ms Amy Thomson, Roads and Maritime Services.

Recommendation

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the proposed signage and line marking associated with the Vendetta Street & Moresby Street subdivision, SF10477, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/10 (a, b, c, d).

 

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the proposed signage and line marking associated with the Vendetta Street & Moresby Street subdivision, SF10477, as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/10 (a, b, c, d).

CARRIED

 

 

TC18.11     Intersection Plans - Proposed Roundabout and Associated Line Marking - Carrington Heights (PN 3467)

HPERM Ref: D18/11373

Recommendation

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the roundabout and associated signage and line marking at the intersection of Patonga St and Park Rd, and the Give Way controls at the intersection of Jindalee Cres and Patonga St, and Gungaroo Place and Carrington Park Drive, Nowra as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/11 (a, b, c, d) subject to:

1.    the pit lid proposed to be located in the roundabout be a concrete trafficable lid suitably designed for heavy vehicle loading, as this is a mountable roundabout.

 

RECOMMENDATION (By consent)

That the General Manager (Director Assets and Works) be advised that the Shoalhaven Traffic Committee has no objection to the roundabout and associated signage and line marking at the intersection of Patonga St and Park Rd, and the Give Way controls at the intersection of Jindalee Cres and Patonga St, and Gungaroo Place and Carrington Park Drive, Nowra as detailed in the attached plan TRAF 2018/11 (a, b, c, d) subject to:

1.    the pit lid proposed to be located in the roundabout be a concrete trafficable lid suitably designed for heavy vehicle loading, as this is a mountable roundabout.

CARRIED

 

 

 

GENERAL BUSINESS

 

TC18.12     Additional Item - Turpentine Road - Suggested Signage and Rumble Strips

Clr White suggested that Traffic staff investigate the possibility of installing signage to indicate that the road is coming to an end on Turpentine Road and rumble strips.  Mr Daniel Dunstan requested that the request be formally submitted to Council’s Traffic Unit for investigation.

 

 

TC18.13     Additional Item - Sussex Inlet Driver Reviver – No Toilets – Rest Stop

It was advised that the Lions Club that run the Driver Reviver at Sussex Inlet requested portable toilets at the rest stop on numerous occasions.  Cost may have been a factor as to why they were not provided. Amy Thomson will follow this up with Roads and Maritime Services.

 

 

TC18.14     Additional Item - Matron Porter Dr - Speed Limit - Review by Roads and Maritime Services

It was requested that Roads and Maritime Services undertake a review of the speed limit along Matron Porter Dr whilst the footpath and roadworks are ongoing.  It was suggested that the speed limit remain 60km/h or to install advisory signage on the roundabout.  Council’s Traffic Unit will investigate improved advisory of the roundabout and Roads and Maritime Services will review the speed limit.

 

 

TC18.15     Additional Item - Strongs Rd/Croziers Rd – Stopping Along the Highway to Turn Right

There have been various near misses where people have stopping along the highway to turn right onto Croziers Rd.  Ms Amy Thomson, Roads and Maritime Services, advised that they are looking into an interim solution. 

 

 

TC18.16     Additional Item - Peach Farm - Jerrawangla - Right Hand Turn - Signage Prior to Dirt Road

Prior to the Peach Farm in Jerrawangla, heading south there is a dirt road off the Princes Hwy.  There have been near misses as the two lanes merge into one on the dirt road.  Signage that indicates turning traffic ahead or driveways ahead was suggested.

 

 

TC18.17     Additional Item - Beach St Huskisson - No Stopping Suggested - Exisiting Caravan Park

Clr Levett advised he had discussions previously with Mr Daniel Dunstan regarding Beach St Huskisson and cars parking around the corner.  Clr Levett showed photos of a 4WD Vehicle towing a caravan that was driving in the middle of the road to avoid a car parked on the corner whilst exiting the caravan park.  Daniel Dunstan advised he would look at it again and measure road width, and view the turning templates.  Daniel Dunstan suggested he may be able to add additional line marking around the corner.

 

 

TC18.18     Additional Item - Owen St and Sydney St Huskisson - Give Way Sign

Mr Daniel Dunstan advised that the intersection at Owen St and Sydney St, Huskisson is marked in the DCP for Huskisson in the Contributions Plan for a roundabout.  However not enough funds are going into the contributions fund at this time to implement this and as there are no incidents/ accidents cannot attract black spot funding.  It was suggested that an interim solution could be that the current Give Way sign be relocated to benefit the main street as the priority (on the western side).

 

 

TC18.19     Additional Item - Huskisson Beach Wharf – All Day Parking

Clr Levett advised he had discussions previously with Mr Daniel Dunstan regarding Huskisson Beach Wharf and the all day car park.  In his view the parking should be rotated and not all day in a high tourist area.  Daniel Dunstan advised he would ask Management if the asset can be utilised differently.

 

 

TC18.20     Additional Item - Bowen St/Currambene St Huskisson – Vacant Land

The Church Land and the Vacant Land was discussed in relation to the bollards that have been installed on the vacant block.  There is nothing that Council can do at this time as the vacant land is currently owned by Jerrinja (an outcome of a land claim) and Council staff have entered into negotiations with the Church to acquire the Church land.

 

 

TC18.21     Additional Item - MacGibbon Pde/Wool Rd – Dedicated Lane – Turn Right – Mernie St

It was suggested that a dedicated turning lane to turn right along Macgibbon Pde into Mernie St towards the Vincentia Market Place or a roundabout be implemented.  Mr Daniel Dunstan advised that in future strategy, Old Erowal Bay will be bypassed removing the current access issues at the location.  Council has previously improved access via Macgibbon Pde, however, this was achieved through black spot funding.  Council’s Traffic Unit will continue to monitor the location for future funding opportunities.

 

 

TC18.22     Additional Item - Police Targeting – Tailgating – Driver Education

The Committee discussed the possibility of Police targeting tailgating and if drivers could be fined.  Mr Ian McManus, Police NSW advised that there is an infringement notice that can be issued for travelling too close, however, it is more about driver education.  The Committee was advised that the new Road Safety Officer is starting in the Traffic Unit shortly and can coordinate media releases regarding road safety initiatives to assist in driver education.

 

 

TC18.23     Additional Item - Mitchell Pde – Shared Path

The Committee discussed briefly Mitchell Pde Mollymook and the shared path, however, was advised that the focus is currently on Matron Porter Dr.

 

 

 

There being no further business, the meeting concluded, the time being 10.40am.

 

Daniel Dunstan

CHAIRPERSON