Climate Change Action Committee
Meeting Date: Thursday, 06 April, 2017
Location: Jervis Bay Rooms, City Administrative Centre, Bridge Road, Nowra
CC17.3........ Climate Change Action Committee - Draft Terms of Reference including change of name............................................................................................................... 1
Addendum Agenda - Climate Change Action Committee – Thursday 06 April 2017
CC17.3 Climate Change Action Committee - Draft Terms of Reference including change of name
HPERM Ref: D17/107794
Group: Finance Corporate & Community Services Group
Section: Human Resources, Governance & Customer Service
Attachments: 1. Terms of Reference - Draft ⇩
Purpose / Summary
To consider the Terms of Reference for the Climate Change Action Committee and a change of name for the Committee to the Sustainable Futures Committee.
1. Change the name of the Climate Change Action Committee to the Sustainable Futures Committee
2. Adopt the Sustainable Futures Committee Terms of Reference as attached to this report
3. Appoint a Chairperson to the Committee
4. Appoint a Councillor for the membership selection committee
5. Advertise for applications for membership
6. Allocate a budget for the operations of the Committee
1. As recommended
2. Not adopt the recommendation and make an alternative recommendation
Implications: This may require an amendment to the Terms of Reference.
At its meeting of 15 November 2016, Council’s Strategy and Assets Committee resolved that:
“Council reinstate the Climate Change Action Committee”
Further, at the Council Meeting held on 20 December 2016, Council resolved as follows (MIN16.1054):
1. Endorse the membership of the Climate Change Action Committee consisting of all Councillors and the General Manager;
2. Endorse the Purpose of the Climate Change Action Committee as follows:
a. To make recommendations to improve Councils response to potential impacts of climate change.
b. To improve sustainability within the Shoalhaven Local Government area.
c. Develop a Prioritised Action Plan that will empower the Shoalhaven Community to be more sustainable and improve the sustainability of Council operations and activities.
d. Identify and action funding opportunities which will improve Council’s sustainability and its understanding and readiness of potential impacts of climate change.
e. Identify ways to educate the community about sustainability and the potential impacts of climate change.
f. Display strong leadership to the community by recommending sustainability and resilience building actions to Council for consideration
3. That the quorum for the Committee be 5.”
Councillors White and Gartner, in consultation with staff have drafted the attached Terms of reference for consideration and discussion by the Committee.
It is also suggested that the name of the Committee be changed to the ‘Sustainable Futures Committee’ as this would better reflect the role of the Committee.
Should the Committee wish to have a budget allocation, it would need to be included in considerations for the 2017/2018 budget.