Minutes of the Shoalhaven Sports Board

 

 

Meeting Date:    Wednesday, 8 March 2017

Location:            Jervis Bay Rooms, City Administrative Centre, Bridge Road, Nowra

Time:                   5:01pm

 

 

The following members were present:

 

Mr David Goodman - Chairperson

Clr Nina Cheyne

Clr Bob Proudfoot

Clr Patricia White

Mr Andrew Johnstone- arrived at 6.00 pm

Mr Syd Weller

Mr Roger Walker

Ms Elaine Caswell

Mr Tony Hardman

Mrs Elizabeth Tooley

Ms Lisa Kennedy

Mr Phil Newlyn

Mr Keith Wallace

Mrs Jane Lewis - Recreation Community & Culture Manager (General Manager’s Nominee)

 

 

Others Present:

James Harris – Unit Manager, Social & Infrastructure Planning

Susan Edwards – Senior Strategic Planner

Michael Thompson – President of the Nowra Velo Club

 

  

 

Apologies / Leave of Absence

 

An apology was received from Clr Pakes, Clr Findley

 

 

Confirmation of the Minutes

RESOLVED (Clr White / Roger Walker)

That the Minutes of the Shoalhaven Sports Board held on Wednesday 14 December 2016 be confirmed.

CARRIED

 

 

 

 

 

 

Declarations of Interest

 

Nil

 

 

Reports

 

SB17.1       Council Policy - Sportsground Management (policy consolidation)

HPERM Ref: D17/36390

The Committee discussed the policy and agreed on amendments.  

Pest & weed management at sportsgrounds was raised and James noted that this is a Council responsibility.

Recommendation

1.    Council adopt the Sportsground Management Policy POL17/15.

2.    Council rescind the following policies:

a.    Sporting Groups Communications

b.    Sportsgrounds – User Group Responsibilities

c.    Glass Bottle Free Sportsgrounds

d.    Sportsground Closure

e.    Sportsground Fencing

 

Recommendation (Syd Weller / Elaine Caswell)

1.      Council adopt the Sportsground Management Policy POL17/15 with the following amendments:

a.      3.3 to read “supply, sale and consumption of drinks in glass bottles”

b.      Reference be made to the Smoke Free Act in regards to no smoking at sportsgrounds

2.      Once approved by Council, a copy of the Sportsground Management Policy POL17/15 to be provided to all Shoalhaven sporting groups and management committees that undertake activities on Council managed sportsgrounds

3.      Council rescind the following policies:

a.    Sporting Groups Communications

b.    Sportsgrounds – User Group Responsibilities

c.    Glass Bottle Free Sportsgrounds

d.    Sportsground Closure

e.    Sportsground Fencing

CARRIED

 

SB17.2       Shoalhaven Sports Board - Portfolio Update

HPERM Ref: D17/42965

Clr White suggested that each Sports Board sub-committee meet to consider and discuss priorities then feedback the Board.  Discussion followed and it was agreed that a workshop should be scheduled just after Easter, prior to the next Sports Board meeting on 7 June 2017 (4pm start time and on a Wednesday if possible).

Susan Edwards, Senior Strategic Planner, suggested that the Communication and Marketing sub-committee consider how best to communicate with sporting groups.

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That Council endorse the following Sports Board Community Member portfolio main priorities for the 2017 calendar year:

Sporting governance - <insert priorities>

Communication and Marketing - <insert priorities>

Grass Roots Club Development - <insert priorities>

Grants and Funding - <insert priorities>

Sports Tourism, Programs and Events - <insert priorities>

Facility Development - <insert priorities>

Talent Programs - <insert priorities>

 

RESOLVED (Clr White / Phil Newlyn)

That:

1.      A Shoalhaven Sports Board workshop be scheduled (prior to the June meeting, 4pm start time and on a Wednesday if possible) to determine Sports Board Community Member portfolio main priorities for the 2017 calendar year with regard to:

a.      Sporting governance

b.      Communication and Marketing

c.      Grass Roots Club Development

d.      Grants and Funding

e.      Sports Tourism, Programs and Events

f.       Facility Development

g.      Talent Programs

2.      Shoalhaven Sports Board Sub-Groups to meet prior to the workshop to discuss priorities and prepare for the above workshop.

CARRIED

 

 

SB17.3       Shoalhaven Sports Board Strategic Planning

HPERM Ref: D17/43013

Susan spoke about Community Infrastructure Strategic Plan (CISP) priorities for members’ consideration at the upcoming workshop. Council’s website link to the final CISP will be emailed to members for their information.

The Committee discussed drainage issues, up-keep of sporting fields and associated costs and priorities.  Possible mandatory rest periods for sporting fields was also discussed.

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That Council endorse the following strategic planning priorities for Shoalhaven sport facility development in the 2017 calendar year:

1.    <insert priorities>

 

 

RESOLVED (By consent)

1.      Strategic planning priorities for Shoalhaven sport facility development in the 2017 calendar year be considered at the upcoming workshop (to be scheduled prior to the June 2017 committee meeting).

2.      The website link to Council’s Community Infrastructure Strategic Plan be emailed to Sports Board members.

CARRIED

 

 

SB17.4       Shoalhaven Sports Board - Current projects update

HPERM Ref: D17/43033

James Harris tabled a letter addressed to Council from Mr Michael Thompson, President of the Nowra Velo Club, regarding a possible criterium track / cycling facilities at Berry Sport & Recreation Centre.

Mr Thompson addressed the Committee and advised that the Nowra Velo Club are seeking support for the concept.  

Roger Walker raised the proposed Shoalhaven Heads Pump track and discussion followed. In addition, the need for similar significant community requests for sport and recreation infrastructure should be considered by the Sports Board before recommending it to Council.

Keith Wallace, NSW Sport and Recreation representative provided an update.  A newsletter will be sent to sporting clubs and Council which will include information regarding funding opportunities and child safe environment for children to play sport.

Mr Wallace highlighted the importance of planning for sporting organisations and the growth of sport, including the need to encourage sporting organisations to consider facilities, governance and participation rates for inclusion in their strategic plans.

NSW Sport and Recreation will be holding a strategic planning workshop in Nowra for sporting clubs and will continue to liaise with Council with regard to Council and Sports Board support.

The playing fields at Callala was raised and James Harris provided an update to members advising that Council is considering future options.

Elaine Caswell raised the issue of the all-weather athletics track and it was noted that this is proposed as part of the Bomaderry Nowra Regional Sporting and Community Hub.

 

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the report of the General Manager (Corporate & Community Services) which provides an update on current projects under development by Council be received for information

 

Recommendation (Clr White / Roger Walker)

1.      That the report of the General Manager (Corporate & Community Services) which provides an update on current projects under development by Council be received for information.

2.      That Council write to the Berry Sport & Recreation Centre to confirm in principle support for the criterium track/facilities cycling complex at the Berry Sport and Recreation Facility.

CARRIED

RESOLVED (Clr White / Syd Weller)

That a representative from the Shoalhaven Heads Forum – Pump Track Committee be invited to attend the next meeting of the Shoalhaven Sports Board to provide a presentation on the proposed pump track in Jerry Baily Oval, Shoalhaven Heads.

CARRIED

 

 

SB17.5       Voluntary Users Contributions Policy - Readoption

HPERM Ref: D17/44090

Recommendation

That

1.    Council change the name of the “Voluntary Users Contributions Policy” to “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program”.

2.    The “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program” provide an initial first part funding for design and/or planning.

3.    Applications for the “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program” only be open and available and determined by 1 July every year to encourage funds to be spent in the same financial year.

4.    The “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program” require that where the total project cost is less $5 000 one quote should be sought, and over $5,000 at least three quotes should be obtained.

5.    The “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program” reference Council’s Community Infrastructure Guidelines to assist in clarifying and promoting project partnerships arrangements with Council and other possible partners in accordance with identified priorities.

6.    The “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program” project nomination form be an “attachment” document to the program/policy.

7.    Council endorse minor text changes as shown in the attached “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program” which is shown as tracked changes.

 

Recommendation (Clr White / Tony Hardman)

That

1.      Council change the name of the “Voluntary Users Contributions Policy” to “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program”.

2.      The “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program” provide an initial first part funding for design and/or planning.

3.      Applications for the “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program” only be open and available and determined by 1 July every year to encourage funds to be spent in the same financial year.

4.      The “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program” require that where the total project cost is less $5 000 one quote must be sought, and over $5,000 at least three quotes should be obtained.

5.      The “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program” reference Council’s Community Infrastructure Guidelines to assist in clarifying and promoting project partnerships arrangements with Council and other possible partners in accordance with identified priorities.

6.      The “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program” project nomination form be an “attachment” document to the program/policy.

7.      Council endorse minor text changes as shown in the attached “Sports Capital Works Partnership Program” which is shown as tracked changes.

8.      Item 2.5 Criteria for prioritisation, be amended as follows:

            ii – Value of additional in-kind labour to contribute - 10%

            iv – The apparent “readiness of the project to proceed – 20%

9.      Item 6 – Application of ESD Principles – to remain in the policy.

carried

Note: Clr Proudfoot requested that his vote be recorded as against this resolution.

Clr White – left the meeting at 7.10 pm

 

SB17.6       Anti Obesity Policy

HPERM Ref: D17/64817

Phil Newlyn – left the meeting at 7.14pm

 

Recommendation (Item to be determined under delegated authority)

That the Sports Board consider this report from Tony Hardman.

 

RESOLVED (Tony Hardman / Elizabeth Tooley)

1.      Elizabeth Tooley and Tony Hardman to prepare a draft policy document for consideration by the Sports Board as a pre cursa for the process and possible presentation of a recommendation to the Council

2.      A policy template to be emailed by Council staff to Tony Hardman.

CARRIED

 

      

 

OTHER BUSINESS

 

SB17.7       Additional Item - Special Rates Variation IPART Submission and Nowra Showground Ideas Day

Jane Lewis, Recreation Community & Culture Manager, updated the Committee regarding the Special Rates Variation IPART Submission in relation to funding for maintenance in parks. Jane agreed to email the document link to members and also include it in the Sports Board minutes http://getinvolved.shoalhaven.nsw.gov.au/rates

James Harris updated members and advised that the event was well attended. A report will now be provided to Council for consideration.

 

 

SB17.8       Additional Item - Site Visits for Shoalhaven Sports Board Members

Jane Lewis spoke about site visits for members to sporting facilities being planned or under construction, and suggested that initial visits to the Berry Equestrian Centre and the Bomaderry Nowra Sport and Recreation Hub be scheduled in May 2017. Other site visits to be scheduled in the future as required.

Recommendation (By consent)

That Council schedule site visits to the Berry Equestrian Centre and the Bomaderry Nowra Sport and Recreation Hub in May 2017 for the Shoalhaven Sports Board members and this be funded from existing relevant budgets.

CARRIED

 

 

 

 

There being no further business, the meeting concluded, the time being 7.38pm.

 

 

Mr David Goodman

CHAIRPERSON