Meeting Date: Tuesday, 31 January, 2017
Location: Council Chambers, City Administrative Building, Bridge Road, Nowra
MM17.1....... Mayoral Minute - Australia Day Award Winners and celebrations across the Shoalhaven..................................................................................................... 1
Addendum Agenda - Ordinary Meeting – Tuesday 31 January 2017
MM17.1 Mayoral Minute - Australia Day Award Winners and celebrations across the Shoalhaven
HPERM Ref: D17/26436
That Council receive the report for information and the Mayor write congratulatory letters to the Awardees.
In recognition of the Australia Day honours bestowed upon Clr Joanna Gash AM, Robyn Florance OAM, John Bennett OAM and Raymond Vincent OAM I would like Council’s endorsement to write congratulatory letters and to invite them and their partners to a Civice Reception at a date to be determined.
MEMBER (AM) IN THE GENERAL DIVISION OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA
· Joanna Gash AM
For significant service to the Parliament of Australia, to Local Government and to the Community of the Shoalhaven.
MEDAL (OAM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA IN THE GENERAL DIVISION
· Robyn Florance OAM
For service to community history and heritage preservation.
· John Bennett OAM
For service to agricultural and show societies.
· Raymond Vincent OAM
For service to the community through a range of organisations.
Australia Day Awards and Citizenship Ceremony
A fantastic Shoalhaven Australia Day Awards & Citizenship Ceremony was held at the Shoalhaven Entertainment Centre on the evening of Wednesday, 25 January 2017.
Our Australia Day Ambassador, Mr George Ellis, Conductor and Composer, was engaging and gave an entertaining speech.
Aboriginal Elder, Paul McLeod, enlightened those with what Australia Day means to him and what the gift of the Message Stick means.
Our winners this year were:
· Shoalhaven Citizen of the Year: June Stevens (North Nowra) - Long standing contribution to community service aiding families in the Shoalhaven.
· Shoalhaven Citizen of the Year - Highly Commended: Richard Wayne Manwarring (Old Erowal Bay) - Dedication and recognition in raising money for local cancer facilities.
· Shoalhaven Young Citizen of the Year: Ava Del Tufo (Pointer Mountain) - Unwavering dedication and whole hearted enthusiasm to assist with social issues and community initiatives.
· Shoalhaven Sports Person of the Year: Ashleigh Hewson (Vincentia) - Outstanding sports representative for the Shoalhaven promoting women’s sports at all levels particularly rugby union.
· Shoalhaven Junior Sports Person of the Year: Tarje Whitford (Mollymook) - Contribution and consistent performance in rugby league.
Once again our Citizenship ceremony was a highlight of the evening with 33 conferees making their pledge to become an Australian.
Congratulations to all staff involved in bringing the event together, our MC’s for the evening, Mr Rick Meehan OAM and Mr Fred Campbell OAM and also the Australia Day judging committee.